Skip navigation

This video was developed by award-winning artist James Kuether. Photos are of ex-slaves taken in the 1930′s by artists working for the WPA. The song is the spiritual “Keep Your Lamp a Trimmed and a Burning,” sung a capella by a former Mississippi slave, recorded in the 1930′s through the WPA. Music and photos are archived in the Library of Congress.

6 Comments

• Cindy
    • Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Reading your novel and loving it! Such a well written book.

• Jon Odell
    • Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Thanks, Cindy! Let me know what you think when you finish, as well!

• Laurie Marks
    • Posted April 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Dear Mr. Odell:
    I just finished reading your book and loved it from start to finish. I am an American History teacher and I tuly enjoyed your focus on the women and slaves of the slavery era. I always teach a slavery unit that starts from early colonization and weave it throughout the school year. I have to add it to the curriculum because there is almost nothing in the textbooks about slavery. Your novel is EXACTLY what I have been looking for to get my students engaged in the idea of seeing things from a completely different perspective. I can’t wait to put together a proposal for using The Healing as a crossover book between Language Arts and History. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress.
    Thank you for writing such a compelling and engaging story.
    Laurie M
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

• Jon Odell
    • Posted April 26, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hello Laurie, I so appreciate your taking the time to tell me about your experience reading THE HEALING, and I’m so glad you see it playing a potential role in your class. That is such high praise! I’ve heard from other educators, both high school and college, who are also using the book. One nurses college is making it required reading for all students!

And yes, please let me know how this plays out. I’d love to know!

• Jeanne
    • Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:38 am

Mr. Odell:

I came to this page of your site when following a link from another writer’s blog tonight. What a beautifully rendered book trailer. I will be buying your book, although I see by the dates on the other comments that I’m a year behind. Hopefully, I can find a place to purchase a copy. As the mother-in-law of an African American man, and now the grandmother of two bi-racial grandchildren, I am trying to learn about his history, which is now a history tied to our family in a very real and tangible way.

• Jon Odell
    • Posted June 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Jean, I’m so happy you stumbled upon my website–and I love that you found it thru another writer–who is it btw? I’d love to return the favor. I hope the book rings true to your experience and would love to hear your thoughts once you’ve finished. Thanks again for your kind comment.